The site coordinators at Communities In Schools of Kent fill a pivotal role as the single point of contact working inside the school building to provide integrated student services. Site coordinators connect students and families with community partners and resources that address both academic and nonacademic needs.
We have site coordinators at six schools within the Kent School District: Scenic Hill Elementary, Mill Creek Middle School, Cedar Heights Middle School, Kent Phoenix Academy, Kent-Meridian High School, and Kentlake High School. Though the services may differ at each school, all CISK site coordinators deliver a mix of the following:
- Academic Assistance: Young people who fall behind often stay behind. We help kids catch up and get ahead with tutoring in reading and math.
- Basic Needs: Providing basics like food and clothing enables young people to come to school comfortable, nourished and better prepared to learn.
- Enrichment: Through before- and after-school activities, we expand young people’s understanding of what the world has to offer.
- Life Skills: Through one-to-one mentoring and group coaching, we instill in students the confidence to succeed, the belief that education creates opportunity, and set the expectation for success.
- Family Engagement: We ensure children have a supportive home life by helping parents access the services they need.
- Behavioral Intervention: Negative behavior undermines learning. We help kids learn to modify behavior and make positive choices.
- College & Career Prep: We assist young people in identifying their vision for the future so they have a clear goal and motivation to overcome difficult circumstances.
- Physical & Mental Health: For kids to be the best learners, they need healthy bodies and minds. We connect them to physical, dental, vision, and mental health services regardless of ability to pay.
- Community Service: By giving back in their neighborhoods, youth feel a sense of belonging, accomplishment, and value.