The Kent Performance Learning Center (KPLC) is a small, non-traditional high school located at the Kent Phoenix Academy that is designed for students who have ability but are not succeeding within the traditional school setting.
The Kent Performance Learning Center creates a challenging, business-like environment that emphasizes real-world interaction, project based learning, problem solving, and communication skills. Team work and interdependence are balanced with a rigorous online curriculum that allows each student to progress at their own pace. Additionally, the KPLC employs a Communities In Schools Services Coordinator to help students with non-academic needs including food, housing, transportation and other assistance to reduce outside barriers to academic success. The Communities In Schools Services Coordinator also provides support programs to students including mentoring, job shadows/ job internships, extracurricular activities, and other opportunities.
The Kent Performance Learning Center prepares students not just for high school graduation, but also for college and careers beyond the high school – the standards of success for all Kent Performance Learning Center graduates.
- Business-like learning environments give students real-world skills for workforce readiness.
- Learning Facilitators help students understand the interconnection between subjects and life relevant learning.
- Project-based learning and service learning combine knowledge, critical thinking, multi-media, and collaboration with actual hands-on activities that contribute to the classroom and community.
- Strong student/adult relationships are enhanced through mentoring, small class sizes, and daily morning motivation presentations, team building activities, and advisory sessions.
- Enriched counseling provides individualized learning plans, goal setting, and access to support services and programs inside and outside the school building.
- Dual enrollment with technical and two and four-year colleges (including Running Start), and job shadowing/job internship opportunities encourage successful college and career transitions.